Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Social Reading

As a librarian who works in an office environment, I'm no longer much of a shelf browser. So online browsing options are key to finding books I want to read. I'm a big fan of the "50 Must-Read Books Before the End of the World" type of lists that are often shared on social media. Lately I've been reading a) classic sci-fi/fantasy b) modernist classics available in audio format. I find classics are more palatable in audio format as they often have fantastic narrators. The audiobooks of The Fountainhead / Ayn Rand and Brave New World / Aldous Huxley are quite nice. I love a good radio voice!

I use my For Later list in the library catalogue to keep track of everything I want to read. That way it's easy to switch them over to my Completed list! I did once start a GoodReads account and it was fun selecting all the books I've read, but I can't maintain two such accounts and the library catalogue won out with its convenience. I like to add read-alikes/Similar Titles to books I've read because they're so handy for reader's advisory and I think that it's interesting to see what books other people think are similar (I don't always agree).

Ever thought of a Twitter book club? I've tried it out with some colleagues and it works quite well! You can share little insights in real-time instead of waiting until you're finished the book. Find a hashtag and your whole book club conversation is listed in one tidy stream. (Tip: try not to pick a hashtag that could be a popular soccer player's nickname.)

3 comments:

  1. Do you all read the same book in the Twitter book club? Is there a time frame for when you are reading it (ie. "This month we will read x")?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been reading modernist classics, but I have been devouring non-fiction and documentaries about early 20th century America. Is that the same? Similar? If you want to talk about great radio voices...Graham McNamee, the first cross country radio broadcaster http://www.radiohof.org/sportscasters/mcnamee.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, same book. It worked great for the first 2 books but now everyone is trying to agree on the next. A Twitter riot may break out. I think the final decision was Chris Hadfield's new autobiography. Not really a time frame, goes more by when everyone is finished they talk about it.

    To me modern-ist is the period between the two world wars, so early to mid-century. Lots of cynicism and hoping not to be understood. Reactions to industrialism. Real cheerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete